Skip to main content

Part of Me....Part of My Story...

        Dr. Cacciatore has been asking questions on FB about death and today's question really got me thinking. Today’s question was "What emotion- what nuanced part of grief -  has been the most difficult with which to cope?" My response was about shame and me not feeling worthy of unconditional love, joy and happiness because I am responsible for Mcknena’s death. Why do I deserve love when I’m the reason her beautiful soul is no longer here? I now feel I do deserve love, joy and happiness, but it has not been an easy journey getting there. I often hear from others, “it was an accident,” “It’s not your fault,” Many say that they don’t know how I am able to do what I do. They think I am “amazing” for being able to face the challenges I face and do what I do. I often hear, “I can’t imagine,” “I would die if something happened to my child,” “wow, I don’t know how you do it.” I don’t often tell my whole story, I only tell it when I feel the need to, or when I meet someone that I feel so strongly to tell my story to. Not just, a television fell on my daughter part of the story, but details that few really know. Well I would like to share just a part of that story from that day, not because I am amazing, but because it is my reality. It is what I live with everyday, it is what takes my breath away, it is why for so long I didn't feel worthy of love, joy and happiness, why shame controlled my life.

Many know that I moved the television that day, they know I was pulling cords from the back and after reaching behind pulling the cords, the television started to tip and it was too heavy and I thought, oh who cares it’s just a TV and letting it fall not knowing Mckenna was next to me. One thing some may not know is that in that split second before standing up and the tv starting to fall, I saw her there, happily bang this toy I gave her on the ground. In that spilt second as the TV was falling I forgot that she was there. After the TV fell looking down seeing her feet sticking out I was in shock, horrified at the sight and my heart dropped. When pulling Mckenna out she was lifeless, a rag doll. Many may not know that as I was talking to 911 my phone was beeping that it was going to die, many may not know that when the 911 operator told me to calm down because she can hear you, that Mckenna had 2 tears roll down her face. That is my reality, that is why I struggle forgiving myself and why I never really will.

This part of the story haunts me and at times cause such pain in my heart that I feel it will just stop. Some know this part of the story well because those few I share such detail with have walked with me each and every step of the way. I am blessed with beautiful souls that love me unconditionally and allow me to be me and love me despite the fact that I am responsible for Mckenna’s death. They don’t look at me that way, they look at me as a broken hearted mama who’s child tragically died.

 One beautiful soul (aka soul mama) saved me and she has shown me what unconditional love means. Many ask how I do what I do and I owe a lot of that to this beautiful soul. Mckenna is the reason we are in each other’s lives and Mckenna guides her to help me achieve many of the challenges I challenge myself with. I love her dearly and so very blessed to have her in my life. 


It is not easy to openly share such details with so many, but I needed people to know a part of me. My life changed that day and will never be the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Without You Mom....

10 years ago today, I experienced the second worst day of my life. I found my mother dead in her bed. Even 10 years later, when I say those words it takes my breath away. I know it's not a very delicate way to say it but it's the truth. I don't relive every detail like I did for many years. For years, following her death, I couldn't get those images out of my head. Every detail from the moment I unlocked the door, to the funeral home taking her away. Each moment played out often. What an absolutely awful day it was.  The days leading up to her death also haunted me. I always felt I didn't do enough. She died sad and alone in an apt that was horrible. I had reached a point in her alcoholism of distancing myself. I couldn't handle the heartache and the broken promises and the constantly finding her drunk and the drunk phone calls. I distanced myself and she died. The what if's, the shoulda, coulda, woulda's were ruthless. I still hear her voice the last ti

Being a Mom Again...

I miss writing and said last year that I would start writing more and it never happened so I gave up my other blog because it was costing me money and since I didn't use it I wasted money. So back to my old blog it is.  I am now 5 months into being a mom again and boy has it been interesting. I thought I remembered so much about Mckenna's life, but as it turns out I don't. I don't remember these early months and especially the newborn stage. I guess sleep deprivation might have something to do with that. I feel I am doing things differently this time around and on one hand that is wonderful but on the other it makes me kind of sad knowing I am parenting differently because of my life experience. Mckenna had the young naive mom who went with societal "norms". I must admit that social media has made me feel worse about how I want to parent because it feels like it's the "wrong" way. I didn't have that influence with Mckenna but still must have

My treasured last week

Today I have been reflecting on the last week I had with Mckenna. It seems like I can recall every detail of the last week I had her in  my arms and thought I would share my last week.  My last day with Mckenna  Sat Sept 20th : Billy had Mckenna that weekend but left her with Tammy to come move our stuff into storage. I missed her but thankful to have someone to watch her while we moved  MOST of our stuff. Sun Sept 21st, 2008 : I worked that day and couldn't wait to get off work because I was getting Mckenna back. Billy dropped her off at my work I waited with her outside for Mare to get done because we rode together. She was happy to see her mommy. Mon Sept 22nd, 2008 : I had started this class at Pheonix college for my CCT at work so I could draw blood and put in and take out foley's. Mare couldn't watch her that day so my friend Lisa took the day off work to watch her for me. I had to wake up extra early to get ready just in case Mckenna was up earlier