Skip to main content

OWWBFM-bug

Wow! What can be said about the MISS Barefoot Walkabout to Remember??? So many emotions that ran through my body and that came to the surface as I took those painful steps. When we began this walk I was bound and determined to make it to the top and back down completely barefoot. Last time my feet wouldn't allow me to get down to the bottom, and I wasn't going to let that happen this time around. The first steps were a piece of cake and seemed to go much smoother. As I continued up the path I noticed that the only place I was looking was just in front of me and where I was going to step next. I looked at the person in front of me and sometimes I followed their path but other times I went my own way because I saw that her steps weren't where I wanted to go. Step after step I was concentrating so much on just those steps in front of me I forgot to look around me at the beauty. I wasn't looking at the bigger picture.

This phrase "the bigger picture" has been on my mind a lot the past couple weeks. While going along the path it was hard to look at the bigger picture because of the fear of stepping on a sharp rock, or a cactus needle, or that I might stubble and fall. But why am I letting the fear of pain take control and make me miss the beauty that is intertwined in the pain?? Yes I might step on a rock and scream in pain, yes I might step on a cactus needle and yell and cuss, yes I might stubble and fall but those moments of pain are just moments. Those moments will pass in time and will allow me to build more muscle to be able to carry the grief.

I reach the top of "Big Rock" and was blown away at the view of the beautiful red rocks of Sedona. The wind was blowing, the sun was shining and I was surrounded by those who *get it* It was so peaceful and overwhelming all at the same time. I sat looking out at the beautiful rocks and sky around me and just reflected on the journey up to the top. I closed my eyes and just listened to the wind blow and feel the sun on my skin. I did it, I made it through the pain and got to the beauty. The only thing missing in getting to the top is thinking that the pain was over and I get my reward in the end....... my daughter back. Yeah only in my dreams right????.

It is so hard sometimes to see the bigger picture when I am faced with such painful moments, it is hard to see the bigger picture when all those rocks and needles hurt so much and all I want to do is give up. When I started back down I could already tell it was going to be a long road down. My feet were very tender and I felt every single rock and pebbles below my feet. It seemed to take me longer to get to the bottom of this path and felt like there were no breaks to catch my breath to continue, but I refused to put my shoes on. I had Mckenna's rock in my hand I held on to it tight saying " Mckenna help mommy get through this" I wasn't going to let the pain take over and make me to not continue down this path. My legs were shaking, my hands were sweating, my heart was pounding but...... I did it I made it to the end completely and totally barefoot. There just aren't any words to explain what it felt like to make it to the top and back down barefoot. Again wishing that once I got to the end of the painful journey I was rewarded with the gift of having my daughter placed in my arms again, but since that wish will never be fullfilled I will just have to settle for trying to see the "bigger picture" and the beauty in this broken world and to live each day for Mckenna. To always live and breath for her and walk through the pain because one day I will be rewarded with the gift of her being placed in my arms again, and what a grand day that will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Without You Mom....

10 years ago today, I experienced the second worst day of my life. I found my mother dead in her bed. Even 10 years later, when I say those words it takes my breath away. I know it's not a very delicate way to say it but it's the truth. I don't relive every detail like I did for many years. For years, following her death, I couldn't get those images out of my head. Every detail from the moment I unlocked the door, to the funeral home taking her away. Each moment played out often. What an absolutely awful day it was.  The days leading up to her death also haunted me. I always felt I didn't do enough. She died sad and alone in an apt that was horrible. I had reached a point in her alcoholism of distancing myself. I couldn't handle the heartache and the broken promises and the constantly finding her drunk and the drunk phone calls. I distanced myself and she died. The what if's, the shoulda, coulda, woulda's were ruthless. I still hear her voice the last ti

Being a Mom Again...

I miss writing and said last year that I would start writing more and it never happened so I gave up my other blog because it was costing me money and since I didn't use it I wasted money. So back to my old blog it is.  I am now 5 months into being a mom again and boy has it been interesting. I thought I remembered so much about Mckenna's life, but as it turns out I don't. I don't remember these early months and especially the newborn stage. I guess sleep deprivation might have something to do with that. I feel I am doing things differently this time around and on one hand that is wonderful but on the other it makes me kind of sad knowing I am parenting differently because of my life experience. Mckenna had the young naive mom who went with societal "norms". I must admit that social media has made me feel worse about how I want to parent because it feels like it's the "wrong" way. I didn't have that influence with Mckenna but still must have

My treasured last week

Today I have been reflecting on the last week I had with Mckenna. It seems like I can recall every detail of the last week I had her in  my arms and thought I would share my last week.  My last day with Mckenna  Sat Sept 20th : Billy had Mckenna that weekend but left her with Tammy to come move our stuff into storage. I missed her but thankful to have someone to watch her while we moved  MOST of our stuff. Sun Sept 21st, 2008 : I worked that day and couldn't wait to get off work because I was getting Mckenna back. Billy dropped her off at my work I waited with her outside for Mare to get done because we rode together. She was happy to see her mommy. Mon Sept 22nd, 2008 : I had started this class at Pheonix college for my CCT at work so I could draw blood and put in and take out foley's. Mare couldn't watch her that day so my friend Lisa took the day off work to watch her for me. I had to wake up extra early to get ready just in case Mckenna was up earlier