Skip to main content

***Sensitive*** My Memories, My Pain....Everyday




This is my reality, this is in my head every day, this is my memory of the day and night that I lost my mom…..

I call you, no answer
(you will call me back)

This is your new pattern, don’t pick up, don’t call back
(slow worry sets in)

Call again
(why aren’t you answering? Please pick up)

Continue on with my day
(call mom again later, you will answer, you're just napping)

Call again, no answer
(What the hell mom why aren't you answering…….you're fine, probably drinking)

Go to my internship, worry on the back of my brain

Call again, no answer
(ok this is not like you mom, please answer your phone so I know you’re ok)

Call Brandon, maybe he has heard from you
(nope, well shit, you're ok, you have to be ok)

Driving home
(I will check on you tomorrow)

Nope tomorrow is too long, check on you now.
(you're ok, I know you're ok)

Put the key in the door, deep breath

Lights are off, TV is on. I slowly walk in
(you're ok, just sleeping, or drunk)

Stand in the dark staring at your body, trying to focus to see your breathing.
(why aren't you moving? Why aren't you waking up? You're a light sleeper)

I turn on the bathroom light
(Why aren’t you moving mom? What’s wrong with your feet?)

I slowing move towards your head, I notice your hands, the colors not right
(no, no, no. no, no, no, no, no, no…..MOM!!!!!)

I run to turn on a brighter light, run back to your side and yell your name, Mom!!! MOM!!!
(No, no, no, MOM! MOM! Can't touch you, but I have to)

I touch your leg…Ice cold. Shaking, crying, dog jumping on me
(you’re really dead, you’re really dead, no, no, no, no)

Call 911, hands shaking, heart pounding.
(you can’t be dead mom, no, no, no, no)

“My moms dead”
“Ok what is the address”
(shaking, tears, panic)
“Do you want to start CPR”
“No she’s dead, her fingers are black, she’s ice cold, she’s dead”
(I need to call Brandon, I’m all alone)
“Ok go outside and wait for the police”

I hear sirens, I see lights, I need Brandon
(You’re really dead, this can’t be happening)

Time passes fast, time passes slow. We cry, we talk about you, we cry in each others arms. We are now without you, without dad, it’s just Brandon and me.

Sitting in a daze, having conversation, crying

It’s time to say goodbye. I’m not ready. It came too fast.
(How can this be happening, not ready to say goodbye, not ready to see you for the last time)

Brandon and I hold hands, I pull down the blanket, we cry, I come around and sit with you, I place my hand on your head, I tell you how sorry I am, how much I love you.
(No, no, no, no, no, no deep, deep cry from deep within me escapes my soul)

I kiss you, I touch you one last time, it’s time
(no, no, no, no, no….I don’t want to say goodbye to you mom)

I can’t control my tears, I can’t control my sobs, I can’t control my pain it is out for all to witness. Brandon holds me as I kneel to the ground. The sobs release.
(Damn it mom I miss you already, why did you have to die?)

I watch them take you away in a body bag, put into the back of a van and driven away. A piece of my soul left with you that night.
(This is really happening, she’s really gone, I just found my mom dead)

I carry these memories; I carry this moment with me every day. Different parts of this night pop into my mind at any given moment taking my breath away. Losing my mom has been the second hardest thing I have had to go through. No matter what my mom, and I had a special connection and I will always and forever miss her.



Mom I love you beyond words…You are my mom. Love is bigger than death and in that very moment my love for you was breaking my soul, breaking my heart because I love you so very much. We are connected more than I could handle, my love for you was too much for me to get too close and I am so very sorry. You will never be forgotten and I miss you so, so, so very much. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Without You Mom....

10 years ago today, I experienced the second worst day of my life. I found my mother dead in her bed. Even 10 years later, when I say those words it takes my breath away. I know it's not a very delicate way to say it but it's the truth. I don't relive every detail like I did for many years. For years, following her death, I couldn't get those images out of my head. Every detail from the moment I unlocked the door, to the funeral home taking her away. Each moment played out often. What an absolutely awful day it was.  The days leading up to her death also haunted me. I always felt I didn't do enough. She died sad and alone in an apt that was horrible. I had reached a point in her alcoholism of distancing myself. I couldn't handle the heartache and the broken promises and the constantly finding her drunk and the drunk phone calls. I distanced myself and she died. The what if's, the shoulda, coulda, woulda's were ruthless. I still hear her voice the last ti

Being a Mom Again...

I miss writing and said last year that I would start writing more and it never happened so I gave up my other blog because it was costing me money and since I didn't use it I wasted money. So back to my old blog it is.  I am now 5 months into being a mom again and boy has it been interesting. I thought I remembered so much about Mckenna's life, but as it turns out I don't. I don't remember these early months and especially the newborn stage. I guess sleep deprivation might have something to do with that. I feel I am doing things differently this time around and on one hand that is wonderful but on the other it makes me kind of sad knowing I am parenting differently because of my life experience. Mckenna had the young naive mom who went with societal "norms". I must admit that social media has made me feel worse about how I want to parent because it feels like it's the "wrong" way. I didn't have that influence with Mckenna but still must have

My treasured last week

Today I have been reflecting on the last week I had with Mckenna. It seems like I can recall every detail of the last week I had her in  my arms and thought I would share my last week.  My last day with Mckenna  Sat Sept 20th : Billy had Mckenna that weekend but left her with Tammy to come move our stuff into storage. I missed her but thankful to have someone to watch her while we moved  MOST of our stuff. Sun Sept 21st, 2008 : I worked that day and couldn't wait to get off work because I was getting Mckenna back. Billy dropped her off at my work I waited with her outside for Mare to get done because we rode together. She was happy to see her mommy. Mon Sept 22nd, 2008 : I had started this class at Pheonix college for my CCT at work so I could draw blood and put in and take out foley's. Mare couldn't watch her that day so my friend Lisa took the day off work to watch her for me. I had to wake up extra early to get ready just in case Mckenna was up earlier