Skip to main content

Life changing MISS Conference 2012



The MISS Foundation Conference has a way of re-charging your life. Some may think I am crazy for saying that for me going to a conference for parents whose children have died is some sort of a vacation. Not in the sense of relaxation (because believe me you are far from relaxed), but a sense of peace. Peace being surrounded by those who "get it", peace knowing you don't have to say a word and they "get it", and some might be surprised but being able to laugh. Learning about others beautiful children and be honored to know them  I was able to be Mckenna's mommy for 3 very long days, to talk about her and not feel judged. To have people come up to me and tell me that they remember Mckenna and tell their friends and family about the dangers of televisions, to know that Mckenna has touched so many lives is a bittersweet peaceful moment for me. So many children, so many lives lost, so many MISSed.

 This is my second conference and it was far different from my first. My first conference I knew very few people and went there alone. I was asked to speak on the parent panel. The parent panel is when parents get up in front of a room full of fellow bereaved, and professionals and tell their story, where they are now, and how The MISS Foundation has helped them. It was overwhelmingly scary, nerve-wracking and almost impossible. In that moment in time I was getting ready to tell hundreds of people my story and I felt very exposed. Naked in front of strangers. After the panel I was (to my surprise) hugged and thanked me for my bravery. I wanted to run away in that moment and allow myself to break down, but did not feel safe. The one person I felt safe with at that time was busy so I sat at a table alone and pushed down my tears and put on a faint smile. Many came up to me and said how sorry they were, or that they remember hearing about Mckenna in the news. I was touched by the kind words. I only remember bits and pieces of my first conference.

Then the second conference came around and I was excited to go and again be surrounded by those who "get it". I am in a different place than last conference, but it was much more exhausting this time around. I was able to be there as a support person for those newly bereaved, I was able to be present for those overwhelmed, I was able to hug those I only know from FB, or those I met last time. While at conference I put all my other worries aside to be able to just be Mckenna's mom. Not much had changed from the last time and not being able to cry in front of people, but that isn't anything new for me. Conference is an amazing experience and always teaches me so much about myself. It is validating where I am at, why I am doing what I am doing and gives me the confidence to move forward.

Being Mckenna's mommy is my greatest gift in life and I will continue to work towards finding that place in myself I am searching for.

Thank you my fellow MISSters for a beautiful time together. Loved hearing about your children. Love to you all and until we can all get together again. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Without You Mom....

10 years ago today, I experienced the second worst day of my life. I found my mother dead in her bed. Even 10 years later, when I say those words it takes my breath away. I know it's not a very delicate way to say it but it's the truth. I don't relive every detail like I did for many years. For years, following her death, I couldn't get those images out of my head. Every detail from the moment I unlocked the door, to the funeral home taking her away. Each moment played out often. What an absolutely awful day it was.  The days leading up to her death also haunted me. I always felt I didn't do enough. She died sad and alone in an apt that was horrible. I had reached a point in her alcoholism of distancing myself. I couldn't handle the heartache and the broken promises and the constantly finding her drunk and the drunk phone calls. I distanced myself and she died. The what if's, the shoulda, coulda, woulda's were ruthless. I still hear her voice the last ti

Being a Mom Again...

I miss writing and said last year that I would start writing more and it never happened so I gave up my other blog because it was costing me money and since I didn't use it I wasted money. So back to my old blog it is.  I am now 5 months into being a mom again and boy has it been interesting. I thought I remembered so much about Mckenna's life, but as it turns out I don't. I don't remember these early months and especially the newborn stage. I guess sleep deprivation might have something to do with that. I feel I am doing things differently this time around and on one hand that is wonderful but on the other it makes me kind of sad knowing I am parenting differently because of my life experience. Mckenna had the young naive mom who went with societal "norms". I must admit that social media has made me feel worse about how I want to parent because it feels like it's the "wrong" way. I didn't have that influence with Mckenna but still must have

12 Things I've Learned (so far) Since Becoming a Mama Again

It's been one year since becoming a mother again. A mother to a living child and what a year it's been. I never thought I would get the chance to be a mom again. I honestly thought we would be childless and look at Emerson almost daily and think, I can't believe we have a child. Emerson has been such a gift. He brings so much light into my world. I have grown and learned so much since he was born. It's been a year of a lot of growth, trial and error, figuring out what works for me as a mom and how I want to mother. Thought I would share 12 things I have learned this year with my sweet boy. In no particular order.... 1. You can plan and have all the ideas of how you want things to go but those plans don't always go the way you had hoped and you sometimes have to pivot from the plan and learn what works and that's OK.  2. No two babies are the same so no two ways work the same for one child as it did for another.  3. Society "norms" can shove it where th