Skip to main content

Your Imagination, My Reality

(At least trying)



How has my voice become so silenced?

When did I let fear of judgment take over?

Why did I allow what others think of me control my thoughts and actions?

My life has been a roller coaster ride for many years now, and I am not sure how I let others influence me so much. Almost 3 ½ years ago my life was forever changed. I never thought I would never survive the death of Mckenna. But here I am and doing the best I can. I live on my own, I own my own car, I work full time, and go to school full time. Yes I have rough days, yes I cry, yes I am sad, but is that really a bad thing? Is 3 ½ years too long to “still” have really rough days? I think the answer to that question is NO!!! Many people have told me they couldn’t imagine losing a child. They would just die if one of their children died. What do you think that tells someone who’s child has died?? I often wonder what they would REALLY do if one of their children died. How would they be if they were in my shoes? I meet parents all the time who have lost a child or children to death and we all find ways to survive.

Can you tell me if your child died you would go back to “normal”?

Many people don’t know what it’s like to go from a wife and mother to nothing in a matter of 3 months. Many don’t know what it’s like to try and find your way alone. Many don’t know what it’s like to drown in such guilt and shame that it almost kills you. Many don’t know what it’s like to be the reason your daughter took her last breath. No one knows what it’s like to hold their lifeless daughter in their arms, telling her to breath for mommy as two tears roll down their child’s face, many don’t know what it’s like to hold their child while the Dr looks you in the eyes and tells you her heart has stopped beating. Many don’t know what it’s like to hold their dead child singing and rocking her knowing it was the last time they would ever hold her again. Many could NEVER even begin to imagine doing any of those things and yet I have. No amount of time will ever take away the pain of Mckenna dying; no pill will “cure” me from the longing and yearning I feel every day. In a moment it takes my breath away.  I think, is this really real? Did she really die? This is really my life? Yes EVEN after 3 ½ years I think these thoughts. I sleep with her pajamas every night, I still don’t have her pictures up in my apt, I STILL miss her every day.

Wouldn’t you??

Before you judge a bereaved parent try and take a moment to step inside their shoes. Try and just imagine waking up tomorrow without your child, what does that look like for you? Try and just imagine living the rest of your life without EVER seeing, touching, holding, watch grow, take their first steps, say their first words, go to school, go to prom, get married, have children of their own, and all the things in between………

Can you even imagine it???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Without You Mom....

10 years ago today, I experienced the second worst day of my life. I found my mother dead in her bed. Even 10 years later, when I say those words it takes my breath away. I know it's not a very delicate way to say it but it's the truth. I don't relive every detail like I did for many years. For years, following her death, I couldn't get those images out of my head. Every detail from the moment I unlocked the door, to the funeral home taking her away. Each moment played out often. What an absolutely awful day it was.  The days leading up to her death also haunted me. I always felt I didn't do enough. She died sad and alone in an apt that was horrible. I had reached a point in her alcoholism of distancing myself. I couldn't handle the heartache and the broken promises and the constantly finding her drunk and the drunk phone calls. I distanced myself and she died. The what if's, the shoulda, coulda, woulda's were ruthless. I still hear her voice the last ti

Being a Mom Again...

I miss writing and said last year that I would start writing more and it never happened so I gave up my other blog because it was costing me money and since I didn't use it I wasted money. So back to my old blog it is.  I am now 5 months into being a mom again and boy has it been interesting. I thought I remembered so much about Mckenna's life, but as it turns out I don't. I don't remember these early months and especially the newborn stage. I guess sleep deprivation might have something to do with that. I feel I am doing things differently this time around and on one hand that is wonderful but on the other it makes me kind of sad knowing I am parenting differently because of my life experience. Mckenna had the young naive mom who went with societal "norms". I must admit that social media has made me feel worse about how I want to parent because it feels like it's the "wrong" way. I didn't have that influence with Mckenna but still must have

My treasured last week

Today I have been reflecting on the last week I had with Mckenna. It seems like I can recall every detail of the last week I had her in  my arms and thought I would share my last week.  My last day with Mckenna  Sat Sept 20th : Billy had Mckenna that weekend but left her with Tammy to come move our stuff into storage. I missed her but thankful to have someone to watch her while we moved  MOST of our stuff. Sun Sept 21st, 2008 : I worked that day and couldn't wait to get off work because I was getting Mckenna back. Billy dropped her off at my work I waited with her outside for Mare to get done because we rode together. She was happy to see her mommy. Mon Sept 22nd, 2008 : I had started this class at Pheonix college for my CCT at work so I could draw blood and put in and take out foley's. Mare couldn't watch her that day so my friend Lisa took the day off work to watch her for me. I had to wake up extra early to get ready just in case Mckenna was up earlier